New Documents Show Ford’s Conservatives May Have Misled Ontarians About Private Health Care
In a press conference today, Andrew Horwath released new documents which show additional evidence that Doug Ford plans to privatize health care services in Ontario.
Last week Minister of Health Christine Elliot said that there were no plans to privatize health care. Here’s a quote from The Star:
“This is a very early draft of legislation,” Elliott said Thursday. “It’s not been finalized.”
But the newly released documents indicate that a decision to privatize certain aspects of Ontario’s health services were approved in mid-December, including the Super Agency detailed in previous leaks. According to the documents, board members for the Super Agency have already been appointed.
Breaking: NDP claim to have more leaked documents they say proves cabinet has already approved overhaul of healthcare system privatizing more services. One page of report details risks, including service and labour disruption #onpoli pic.twitter.com/pNcdij7Pmh
— Cynthia Mulligan (@CityCynthia) February 4, 2019
The plan includes a new model called integrated care delivery that are titled “MyCare groups”. These groups would be able to procure services through private, for-profit entities.
Here is a quote about the MyCare clinics:
A MyCare Group "is a new model of integrate care deliver and funding where a group of providers (e.g., hospitals, physicians, etc.) are held clinically and fiscally accountable for delivering a coordinated continuum of care to a defined geographic population or patient segment."
— Jessica Smith Cross (@jessiecatherine) February 4, 2019
New evidence released by the NDP shows a long list of health care services that could potentially be privatized. The list includes:
- Ornge ambulance service
Screenshots of the documents can be found here.
We will update the story as more information becomes available.