Job: Part-time graphic designer
Canada’s most viral online progressive media advocacy group North99 is seeking a part-time social media strategist to manage and grow our social media presence. This isn’t a regular social media job – you will be creating content and messages that are read by millions of Canadians every month.
You job will be managing our Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and other online accounts, by creating graphics, video and written content. You will take initiative to shape messages in a way that appeals to millions of Canadians by setting the tone of what issues we cover. Don’t worry if you don’t have design experience, we include training so you’re ready to go on day one.
The ideal candidate is someone who cares deeply about our mission of promoting bold progressive ideas and fighting for every-day Canadians. You are someone who loves learning new skills, takes initiative and thinks critically about how to create content that resonates with people. You follow news closely and can recite the top stories happening that day, especially the stories that progressive Canadians care about.
The job pays a minimum of $1,800 per month at 20 hours per week. This is negotiable based on work experience.
- Review Canadians news stories, trending content, Reddit and social media to determine the daily editorial calendar
- Create graphics, social posts, memes and schedule content in consultation with the North99 team
- Manage our Facebook pages, Twitter and Instagram, including platform-specific content such as Instagram carousel content and stories
- Distribute stories and written content on all social networks
- Review social and website analytics to uncover new content opportunities
- Provide advice and strategic direction on growing social audiences, email sign-ups, subscribers, donors and other key performance indicators
- Experience working with nonprofit, charity or political advocacy group is highly recommended. We are looking for someone who cares about building a better world and understands the issues happening that day
- Have previously managed social media accounts (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram) for a charity, non-profit and political organization
- Experience with design is an asset but not a requirement – we offer training for creating content. What is required is a willingness to learn
- A history of generating viral content, building online communities or some other skill that relates to understanding and mobilizing an online audience
- Believe in North99’s vision of a country that works for the many and not the few
Why work at North99
We are committed to helping team members grow into bigger roles within the organization, through training and increasing responsibilities. We are a small team so you will have the opportunity to work a diverse range of projects and campaigns.
The expectation is that this position will shift to full-time in the future. We offer a benefits package for full-time employees including dental and vision. We often take Fridays off because life is about more than just work. We also provide yearly raises because it’s the right thing to do. And this isn’t an office, everyone works remotely (no suits required!).
Preference will be given to candidates with experience in advocacy organizations, as well as charities or nonprofits, though we welcome all types of skills and experiences. Preference will also be given to candidates with strong written communication skills.
Applicants must fill out the questionnaire in order to be considered for the job.