Do not hesitate to reach out to us if you feel you have a set of skills that could help build our movement. Send us your resume through the form at the bottom of the page.
Canada’s most viral online progressive group North99 is seeking skilled freelance writers to join our editorial team. We are building a new type of progressive media outlet, one that’s mission-driven to give power back to the many, and not the few.
You are a writer interested in Canadian politics from a progressive angle, have strong attention to detail, follow progressive news and opinion, and are looking to join a non-profit media organization making a difference. You want to hold the powerful accountable and shift the Overton window on important issues. You understand the modern digital media environment and know what makes audiences tick.
This job is remote and could lead to full-time work in the late summer and early fall.
We are seeking writers to cover the following topics:
- Canadian and provincial politics
- Labour and economic issues
- Climate change
- The far-right and populism
- Racial justice
- Research, write and edit daily online stories
- Manage, write and edit our weekly newsletter 49th Parallel, as well as provide advice on how to grow subscribers
- Fact-check content
- Undertake long-term research on important issues for more in-depth stories
- Provide input and insights on how to grow our readership, increase engagement and audience retention
- Review social media and Google Analytics to uncover new story angles
- Ensure all analytics, tagging and tracking is setup to measure article ROI
- BA or BFA in English, Communications, or Journalism, or relevant experience in the media or writing industry
- Strong editorial judgement with a keen attention to detail – you have nightmare over spelling and grammar errors
- Experience writing for a progressive news outlet is a plus
- You understand how to create content that gets noticed
- Photoshop, design, SEO, Google Analytics or other digital marketing skills are a major plus
Social Media Manager
Canada’s most viral online progressive group North99 is seeking a part-time social media manager to maintain and grow our social media presence. Our content regularly reaches 2-5 million Canadians a month. You will develop and design graphics, videos, illustrations and other online content to engage, grow and educate our community and millions of Canadians.
This job is remote, but preference will be given for candidates who live in Toronto. This job may grow into full-time work in the fall.
- Review Canadians news stories, trending content, Reddit and social media to determine daily editorial calendar
- Create graphics, social posts, memes and schedule content in consultation with the North99 team
- Manage our Facebook pages, Twitter and Instagram, including platform-specific content such as stories
- Distribute stories and written content on all social networks
- Review social and website analytics to uncover new content opportunities
- Build North99’s Instagram account through posting and Instagram stories
- Manage our online communities, including Norht99’s Facebook group and Instagram
- Provide advice and strategic direction on growing social audiences, email sign-ups, subscribers, donors and other key performance indicators
- Ability to design and create graphics using Photoshop, Illustrator or other graphics tools
- Have previously managed social media accounts (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram) for a charity, non-profit and political organization
- A history of generating viral content or building online communities
- A willingness to experiment and try new things
- Believe in North99’s vision of a country that works for the many and not the few
- Preference Is for candidates with non-profit, charity or campaign experience
- Preference given to candidates who have experience creating and editing video
To apply for any of these jobs please complete the form below: