North99 is Canada’s most viral online progressive media group, reaching 5-10 million Canadians every month. We advance progressive policies and ideas through media, advocacy, and campaigns. We are an independent movement of hundreds of thousands of Canadians working to transform Canada for the many, not the richest few.
North99 is seeking a part-time writer to join our growing team. This is an exciting opportunity for anyone looking to build a media nonprofit from the ground-up, to elevate diverse progressive ideas and disrupt Canada’s established corporate-backed mainstream media.
The job will require a skilled writer with a keen eye for detail. You will be working on a range of writing projects, including articles, ongoing weekly email newsletters, advocacy emails and petitions. While our team will give you direction, this position includes a high level of autonomy to determine editorial and content direction, especially for daily stories.
The ideal candidate will have a deep understanding of Canadian politics and have previous experience writing at a media outlet, non-profit or advocacy organization. Attention to detail is key. You are someone who enjoys crafting persuasive prose, is self-directed and cares deeply about building a better country for the 99%.
The role will begin as a part-time position at $20 per hour, but could expand to full-time.
- Collaborate with North99 team to identify daily, weekly and longer-term writing projects
- Write, copy-edit and manage North99’s newsletter program
- Write daily articles about Canadian politics, economics and culture
- Research and write copy for ongoing advocacy campaigns, including petitions and advocacy emails
- Be the final set of eyes on most North99 written content
- Contribute ideas towards growing North99’s online media presence
- Provide strategic input and creative feedback North99’s campaigns
- Minimum 2 years of writing in a professional setting
- Exceptional ability in copywriting and editing
- High proficiency in English
- Attention to detail and accuracy. North99 is a small operation and requires individuals with strong attention to detail and facts
- Share our commitment to progressive values
- Preference is given to candidates with journalism, non-profit or advocacy experience
To apply for this job, please email priority [at] north99.org with your resume.